Note: We apologize, but as of May 26th, the Marinette Logging Museum is not open at this time. Please check back in the future (or visit our MCHS Facebook Page) for updates on our re-opening for this season.
The Marinette County Historical Society was established on February 12th, 1932 by Fred Burke, Mrs. John (Emily) Faller, Henry Hansen, William Morton, Charles Skowlund, and Charles “Dad” Wright. Until 1957, the Stephenson Training School housed the society’s artifacts and exhibits, when the space was needed for the County library.
In response, a fundraiser was conducted with overwhelming community support, and the society was generously gifted the Stephenson Island site from the City of Marinette. Construction the historical museum – our flagship asset – was completed the spring of 1962. Additional funding in 1979 allowed for an expansion of the museum building itself.
Today, we have a wide membership encompassing many counties and states. A hard-working corps of volunteers operate the society and Stephenson Island site.
Our Mission: to collect, preserve and interpret community history for benefit of the those willing to embrace it.